Thursday 18 October 2012

The perfect statement accessory

I have to confess I have a love/hate relationship with accessories. When I was younger, I loved the trend, probably started by Mary Kate Olsen, where you pile on the accessories to achieve a sort of hobo chic look. But since that phase, I've become really averse to over accessorising - I think it can make an outfit look too 'busy' plus loads of bangles jangling on the table is not the most practical.
Despite this, though, I've always loved the idea of a statement accessory that really brings an interesting dimension to an outfit. Generally, I'd say I'm quite minimalist in what I wear - I like clean, tailored lines and often darker or more muted colours, so a statement accessory can really make the outfit from something that could be a little drab to something that looks far more 'high fashion.'
Today I'm wearing a fun colourful statement bracelet to set off a rather dark outfit. (I'm wearing a grey cotton three-quarter length top and a faux leather pleated skirt, if you're wondering from the picture).

The faux jewels (and I like the fact that they're obviously faux as it adds a more tongue-in-cheek vibe) are different sized rectangles and make me think of abstract paintings. I've already had a few compliments this morning and if you're a sucker for compliments, statement accessories are the way to go!
I think it's nice to have a pretty plain outfit to juxtapose with the statement accessory and took this a little further by painting my nails a lovely nude/ dark taupe colour (Barry M, 'Mushroom').

No comments:

Post a Comment