Saturday 20 October 2012

Love of androgyny

I've always been a huge fan of the 'androgyny' trend that pops up every now and then in the fickle world of fashion. Ever since I was little, the idea of power dressing has really appealed to me (admittedly my "rower" shoulders mean it permanently looks as if I'm wearing shoulder pads). In some ways, the androgyny trend can be seen as an offshoot of power dressing. Immediately, I think of beautiful women (or men a la David Bowie) with chiselled features wearing a sharp masculine suit - how wouldn't that make you feel powerful? Plus, there's something incredibly mysterious about not showing much flesh - the antithesis of what seems to be the norm nowadays.

I was attempting to clear out my wardrobe as it's starting to look ridiculous now and I noticed that I do have a significant number of items that could be classed as 'androgynous'. I'd been going through a girly phase for a while and in my schizophrenic style-mind, I've been feeling the need to reflect a new-found assertiveness in what I wear. I think I'll juxtapose the masculine sharp suits, crisp high-neck white shirts and brogues with dramatic make-up and big hair (think Robert Palmer's super stylish 'Addicted to Love' video...)

No comments:

Post a Comment