Wednesday 17 February 2010

The past offers a plethora of fashion inspiration


I have been researching fashion through the ages for my internship and have been discovering the joys of rediscovering old trends, especially 80’s fashion. Even though we laugh, many of the trends are sources of HUGE influence on today’s catwalk. The resurgence in all things from the 80’s has been hugely popular, from the exaggerated shoulder pads to the chunky knits, evoking ‘geek chic’. This geek chic look is sometimes matched with thick black-rimmed spectacles just to enhance the aesthetic effect. I, for one, think that this ends up looking rather contrived – like you’ve just raided a wardrobe from the 80’s for a tacky fancy dress party. To achieve the look effectively, you need to make sure you have the right amount of vintage and contemporary items to give it a quirky – not dated – feel.

My research has also reinvigorated my love for all things 60’s. I am currently obsessed with shift dresses – patterned or plain – and let’s face it, the mini is NEVER going out of style. I love the clean forms and shapes of Mod fashion a la the adorable Twiggy but I also adore the groupie-chic look as encapsulated by Marianne Faithfull. Long, shaggy hair with a blunt fringe, heavy kohled eyes and a shaggy faux fur coat = instant rock and roll glamour.


To be honest, though, I do admire rockers that experiment with their fashion like Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Agh, how I’d love to be in a rock band.

No comments:

Post a Comment