Friday 12 April 2013

A timeless staple: pearls

I used to think pearls were only for women 'of a certain age' and should be worn with boucle twin sets and sensible low heel shoes. However, I have completely changed my mind and believe that pearls exude a certain grace and elegance that suits women of all ages. The other night, a friend and I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's for the first time (the whole way through - yes, I know, this is indeed ridiculous) and obviously apart from being in love with Audrey Hepburn's gorgeous outfits, I suddenly developed an obsession with pearls. To be honest, I've been aware of their appeal for a while, and sometimes wear pearl hairbands when I'm in a (rare) ladylike mood.



For me, part of their appeal is that they're never too flashy or bling. Their sheer subtlety simply exudes class, whether it's a simple pearl necklace, earrings, hair accessories or even a beautiful pearl collar. I do still think they can look a little well-to-do older woman but this is why I try to mix them up with a slightly less girly/ stuffy outfit for a nice juxtaposition that is a more modern take on the classic look.

No comments:

Post a Comment